How to Survive and Thrive at Dreamforce 2023
Each year, Salesforce Trailblazers from all over the world come together for its biggest and most exciting spectacle. The Modelit team is here to provide all there is to know about this year’s Dreamforce.
“I have enjoyed increasing my potential customers, and I hope to reach more of them.”
What is Dreamforce?
Dreamforce is Salesforce’s most anticipated annual event. It unites customers, employees, partners, and trailblazers for a three-day conference dedicated to technology, innovation, and collaboration.
Since its inaugural reception in 2003, the event has blossomed into an exciting global gathering – transcending its origins as a mere conference to emerge as a major hub for ideas, insights, and transformation.
Dreamforce now holds a dignified position in the tech world – serving as an opportunity to expand knowledge, make connections, establish partnerships, get leads, and have plenty of fun. The magnetic pull of Dreamforce brings together a diverse mix of professionals, thought leaders, innovators, and enthusiasts under a common banner of progress.
Attendees are not merely spectators; they are active participants in this grand convention of knowledge sharing and ideation. They are met with the opportunity to dive deep into content specifically focused on the unique roles and products found within the Salesforce ecosystem.
With a schedule chock-full of keynote addresses, hands-on workshops, interactive sessions, and networking opportunities, Dreamforce becomes an immersive experience that goes beyond the traditional boundaries of a conference. The energy of the attendees, the electric buzz of discourse, and the awe-inspiring displays of technological prowess combine to create an atmosphere that is nothing short of amazing.
From the seasoned executives to the budding entrepreneurs, from the tech aficionados to the curious minds seeking insight – Dreamforce offers an unparalleled experience where aspirations are nurtured, alliances are forged, and the future is envisioned.
The Theme: Calling All TrAIlblazers
Every year, Salesforce unveils a new theme for the event, one that encapsulates the prevailing spirit and anticipates the trends that will shape the future.
In 2023, the conference will focus on the changing landscape of technology with the rise of artificial intelligence.
It's all about digging into what AI can do now, what it might do soon, and how it's shaking things up across the board. From healthcare to customer service, finance to manufacturing – AI is spreading like wildfire, and Dreamforce is all about getting up close and personal with the flames.
Key Event Info
San Francisco, California
September 12–14, 2023
Register now to secure your spot at this year’s Dreamforce!
Want to join from the comfort of your home?
If you can’t make it to San Francisco in person, no worries!
You can register at Salesforce+ for a free online experience of the event.
Modelit’s Top Tips
For those of you heading to Dreamforce in September, we thought it would be helpful to gather some top tips from our own attendees. Here’s what they had to say:
How to Organize
- Make use of the Salesforce Events app! This app can help you manage your agenda by seeing which sessions you’ve booked, getting information on sessions already underway, and notifying you of the events happening around you. Later on, you’ll be able to provide feedback on the sessions you’ve attended as well. (Be sure to download the app with wifi before you arrive at the venue to avoid any possible data plan issues.)
- Set an objective: Choose what you want to do, what you want to learn. Pick activities based on your goal. Take the time to consider which parts of the conference are absolutely crucial for you to attend. Make note of those sessions, but also keep an open mind. It’s highly likely that you’ll come across something new, having to miss out on something else in return.
- Arrive early to each event that you plan to attend! Event locations can fill up fast, so it’s important to get there with enough time to save your spot.
- It’s a good idea to map out your events ahead of time. Many of the talks are spread out, and it can take time out of your day to make it from one to the next. Consider planning for about 5 to 15 minutes between sessions to commute.
- Remember to plan your meetings ahead of time, too. People’s agendas around bound to be packed, so if you’re hoping to meet up with someone, plan in advance.
- Don’t overbook your schedule with sessions. Leave some time to have lunch or rest. Why overdo it?
- Be sure to attend keynotes, which are where you’ll often get to hear major platform announcements.
- Make time to visit the demos! At the developer, administrator, and architect areas you can ask questions and get answers from members of the Salesforce team. You might even get the chance to speak directly with a PO or PM in the area. Don’t miss out on this opportunity!
- If you’re a hands-on learner, check availability for Circles of Success and workshops. There are many options, each offering opportunities to get your questions answered.
- Don’t just explore one area, but the entire campus. There’s the Expo Hall where partners present their services and solutions, and there are other theaters and product areas. There are also booths where product demos are performed, and viewers can ask questions and get in touch with product managers.
- Take advantage of the free training and certification opportunities offered at Dreamforce. This is a great way to learn new skills and advance your career in Salesforce. Note that this does not always happen, so you’ll have to check around!
- Remember to get your badge. You can pick up your badge the day before Dreamforce begins, just check the page for times and locations. Take good care of your badge, as a lost badge will cost you extra.
- Work on your presentation skills! You’ll be connecting with tons of people, so you may want to practice introductions ahead of time. Don’t forget to update your LinkedIn profile, and consider bringing personal cards (electronic, of course).
- Be aware of your public transportation options. You can use the BART public transportation system by buying the Clipper Card, which you can save and use for any future trips to the area. Your hotel might also offer shuttle transportation to the conference, so be sure to find out. If you’d prefer to get a driver, make sure to install Uber and Lyft. Be mindful of peak hours with transportation apps, as it tends to be more expensive.
- You can rely on the wifi. The venue has pretty good service for anyone looking to have a work meeting. Just do your best to find a quiet spot and you’re all set. (You might check out the higher levels in Moscone West or Dreamforce Park.)
- Save time for sightseeing. This one is pretty self-explanatory, but you won’t want to miss out on all that the city of San Francisco has to offer.
What to Pack
- It is essential to pack comfortable clothes for Dreamforce! You’ll want to be comfy as you’re out and about all day long.
- A good pair of shoes is necessary. You’ll be doing plenty of walking, so you’ll want to make it an enjoyable experience.
- Bring multiple layers of clothing. Remember that the conference is in San Francisco in autumn. You can expect varying temperatures, cooler nights, warmer afternoons, and lots of wind. Inside session locations, it can also be quite hot. You’ve got to be prepared for anything!****
- Pack light! You won't need to bring too much stuff to Dreamforce. Just bring the essentials, like your laptop, chargers, and business cards.
- If you are flying from abroad, bring a power adapter. Stores near the conference tend to run out of them.
- Bring an external battery for your cell phone. We promise you’ll use your phone a ton. You can thank us later!
- Pack band-aids and lip balm. You won’t want to be walking around with painful feet or chapped lips.
- Consider bringing some snacks and a reusable water bottle. There are water stations all across campus.
Where to Stay
We at Modelit suggest that you think outside the box when it comes to accommodation for Dreamforce. Don’t be afraid to stay a bit further away, as San Francisco’s BART public transportation system can reliably transport you to and from the event venue. You’ll have to allow for some extra time, but you’ll make up for it by saving money!
How to Network
If you’re looking to foster connections, there are plenty of opportunities both official and unofficial. Keep an eye out for parties, breakfasts, and volunteering opportunities, as they may have a limit for the number of attendees.
For community group leaders, be sure to check out the networking opportunities both inside and outside of the conference. For example, you could look into the CGL breakfast or Trailhead Community Sessions.
We also recommend that you follow all of the key Salesforce social media accounts and top influencers to stay up-to-date on all of the Dreamforce news.
A few important Instagram handles and LinkedIn pages for updates include:
Some of our Twitter favorites include:
- Marc Benioff – @Benioff
- Founder, Chairman, and CEO of Salesforce
- Chris Duarte – @TheChrisDuarte
- VP of Trailhead Content
- Parker Harris – @parkerharris
- CTO, Co-Founder of Salesforce
- Ben McCarthy – @SalesforceBen
- Founder of popular SalesforceBen blog
- Amy Oplinger – @SalesforceAmy
- Admin and Salesforce MVP
- Rakesh Gupta – @rakeshistom
- Salesforce Architect and MVP
- Daniel Peter – @danieljpeter
- Salesforce MVP and Advisor
- Vala Afshar – @ValaAfshar
- Chief Digital Evangelist at Salesforce
- Kier Bowden – @bob_buzzard
- Salesforce Developer MVP
- Mike Gerholdt – @MikeGerholdt
- Director of Admin Evangelism at Salesforce
Remember, if there is someone "famous" that you would like to see in person, you can check on social media to see if they are presenting. If they are, stop by their session! The same applies if you have technical questions about a product – look for the product manager and see if they are attending Dreamforce, then try to meet up with them.
So, there you have it!
Stick to our tips and tricks and you’ll be conquering Dreamforce come September. From rubbing shoulders with industry moguls to diving into AI's brave new world, this event is your playground for innovation.
Remember, Dreamforce is more than a conference – it's a chance to be part of a tech-savvy tribe shaping the future. Embrace the Salesforce Events app, plan your sessions wisely, and stay open to unexpected gems. Pack comfy clothes, those trusty shoes, and your go-getter attitude. And when it comes to networking, connect with the who's who of tech on social media for insights that'll ignite your journey.
Dreamforce 2023 isn't just a destination; it's an adventure.
So, gear up and get ready to blaze that trail!
Stay tuned for more updates as we inch closer to September.